Thursday, November 14, 2013

Poetry Matters

Although many people groan at the thought of studying poetry, I truly think it still matters. Poetry is just another art form, another way to look at the world, and poets are just artists that are writing words instead of painting images. As a person who likes to write poetry, I see the world through smatterings of ideas and images and words, and sometimes the only way I can articulate exactly what I've seen is through writing a poem about it.

Through experience, I've seen many a person groan at the thought of studying poetry. Even I did that until a friend showed me what it was like to write my own, and then I decided that Edgar Allan Poe was pretty cool, and I looked into more and more poems that interested me. This isn't always the case, however -- many people simply grit their teeth and try to bear it through rhymes and metaphors. I think that poetry's main place, in today's culture, is in the classroom, though I wish that would change. Like I said before, it's another way to look at the world, and people can always benefit from understanding different viewpoints.

For me, poetry wasn't made interesting until I was shown how to write my own. Even then, I wasn't interested in reading it until I read Edgar Allan Poe, and frankly, even now some poems really just don't do it for me. However, I'm an avid music listener, as are the majority of other people. Music is just poetry set to a melody -- There have been times when I learned poetry by analyzing song lyrics and listening to rappers who have to have certain words at certain times to keep the rhythm going. Maybe the key to reviving poetry is getting people to learn about it through music first, then slowly getting into the classics, instead of diving right into the complicated workings of Shakespeare and Robert Frost.

6 comments:

  1. I agree with not delving into the more complicated poems until we start to understand the basics with the simpler ones. I remember not understanding Shakespeare in middle school at all, and then getting into it more inn high school drama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding, and Shakespeare is hard to understand anyway unless you look a bit deeper into the language and history haha

      Delete
  2. Great blog post, I completely agree with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree too. Music should be the gateway to poetry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, I mean I really think that students (middle school and high school age especially) would take it more seriously if their teacher showed them how their favorite songs were actually just... poetry and go from there. That's actually how my 7th grade English teacher taught us and it worked like a charm haha!

      Delete