Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Blog # 19 - Prose Poem -- Freedom Weather

I've let you live a lie. Or, I guess, a lie while I lived my life. You just don't get it do you? The wind blows day after day and it gets colder and colder day after day, and my God you didn't change a bit did you? I feel like smoke after fires are lit. Freedom means nothing if you don't chase it, and frankly I've found the more I talk to you the more I need it. It's like a drug that I went into rehab for, but escaped with all the glory of a manic addict, drunk on false power and high off of five hundred miles an hour. The storm that kept me safe refuses to let me sleep as I climb ladder after ladder, praying the top is within reach, because the drop below is a short fall compared to the journey I've left behind.

Reach for the stars they say, but I know when you fall on clouds that they don't hold you like they said they do. Trust me, they don't. Those clouds scream things at you as you fall through their thin facades and violently reach the ground, and I'll tell you now that you were one of those clouds, full of lightning threatening to strike me with words like thunder that kept me nice, neat, and under.

Look. Look at me now, pen in hand, my greatest weapon and yet... I am still controlled. Controlled by not wanting to hurt you even though that's what you used to do to me. It's nothing new. But, I'm still free and forgive me, but you'll never catch me.

1 comment:

  1. I love this poem. It is extremely powerful. I don't know if this is something you can relate to, but it seems like it is spoken from the heart.

    ReplyDelete